Wednesday, May 16, 2012

New Cityscape Painting - Spring St. SoHo (NYC)

I've done a lot of smaller drawings of water tanks but this is the first large version on canvas using charcoal over acrylic paint. Initially, I was going to create a painting of it in color but I really liked how it looked in just black and white. It's based on a photo I took in December when I was in New York.

I like working with charcoal because it's very forgiving and has an immediacy to it that you don't always get with paint. When working with charcoal you get a more direct experience with the surface. Mistakes, fingerprints and smudges all become part of the image. After finishing it, I sealed it with a charcoal fixative for protection and painted the sides black. Ready for hanging!

Come see this piece along with many other new cityscape paintings at the Cornelia Arts Building Open Studios - Friday May 18, 6pm-10pm.

Spring St. SoHo (NYC), charcoal and acrylic on canvas, 36x48, 2012


No comments: