Monday, September 24, 2012

New L Tracks Paintings

This past week, I started a new series of paintings - abstracted images based on photos I shot of the L tracks. The two below were created from photos and sketches I made of the Brown Line near my studio.

Underneath the L Tracks, oil and acrylic on panel, 18x24, 2012

Transformers, oil and acrylic on panel, 18x24, 2012

After working on a very detailed skyline commission painting the last couple months, I attempted to loosen up and to create something more abstract but still recognizable. I used oil bars and acrylic on panel so the media is also somewhat of an experiment. Just changing to using oil bars gave me a more direct interaction with the image through drawing, smearing and mixing the colors with my fingers.

When placed next to each other, the wires and sharp angled lines move your eye around each painting and back-and-forth between each painting. By keeping it loose and exaggerating the shapes, I was able to give these paintings a sense of movement.

These two pieces have given me a new jumping off point both in media and subject matter. More city abstracts to come...

No comments: