This was a really good commission process and I think it's one of my best cityscape paintings. There are some things that helped me get it to what the collectors wanted but also what I had envisioned.
- The collectors letting me shoot photos of the skyline from their balcony. Also, being able to see where they would be hanging the painting.
- Walking around the West Loop neighborhood and shooting photos.
- A little on-site sketching.
- Lots of preliminary sketches in the studio.
- Studio visits from fellow CAB artists who always give great constructive feedback.
- Having the collectors over to my studio to view work in progress.
- Lots of coffee and music for the long painting sessions.
West Loop Cityscape, acrylic on canvas, 24x48, 2012